Skip to main content

Monitoring data with Munin and stressing the system

This installation was performed following the instractions by Tero Karvinen (http://terokarvinen.com/2011/munin-monitors-your-ubuntu-linux-one-step-install).

Installing Munin


sudo apt-get update
First things first. By running the command I received the latest packages and ensured the correct functionality of programs.

sudo apt-get -y install munin
'sudo software-properties-gnome'
I gave the installation command for Munin and enabled universe repository so I could actually run it. At this stage Mumin should be already monitoring the system.

firefox /var/cache/munin/www/index.html
After entering Munin's location via Firefox I chose to view information of disk space usage. Naturally there was no data yet - Munin updates itself every 5-10 minutes.


Stressing the system


sudo apt-get install iotop
I installed iotop which is a program specified gathering information of the processes stressing a computer.

sudo apt-get -y install stress
stress
After installing and running the program's (stress) name I didn't only get a small manual of the functions but also an example code I could use to stress the system.


I modified the example code and increased the values of vm-bytes and timeout. After running it my computer started humming and I could not get any response for a while because of the long timeout I generated. I opened a new Terminal window and ran iotop.

sudo iotop -oa

Here is a comparison before and after launching the stress. I was able to monitor how stress was opening and running processes by itself.

Before and after stress

Monitoring with Munin



After returning to check if Munin had gathered enough information I noticed a long spike in the diagram. I could see some unused memory and made a note that applications I had used took about half of it.

Log analysis


cd /var/log/
tail syslog


On September 8, 16:51:30 (UTC), Xubuntu gave a command which was invalid since the system did not have enough memory. The process was killed.

Sources: Lectures by Tero Karvinenhttp://terokarvinen.com/2011/munin-monitors-your-ubuntu-linux-one-step-install
Based on Linux course by Tero Karvinen (http://terokarvinen.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Love-O-Meter by using a temperature sensor

This "Love-O-Meter" is based on the tutorial by Arduino and it comes with the starter kit. It uses a temperature sensor to measure the warmth of your skin and then starts to turn on (or off) the LEDs  indicated by the temperature.

The components Arduino UNOBreadboardJumper wiresLEDs220 ohm resistorsTMP36 temperature sensor

Building the Circuit
At first I ran the "Hello World" for Arduino to make sure the environment would work as expected. Now I could start to connect the jumper wires between Arduino UNO and the breadboard.

As usually I connected the breadboard to power (5V) and to the ground (GND). I inserted the TMP36 on the breadboard so the rounded part of the sensor would face away from Arduino.

I attached 3 LED lights and the resistors and connected them with Arduino. The lights should react to the heat of the finger and if the temperature would get hot enough all the lights would be on and would also tell you if you are a hot lover or not...

The result and the …

Creating a Bootable USB for Kali Linux

If you are interested to see my documentation about making a bootable USB for Xubuntu please click here!

This USB was made by using the latest version of Xubuntu (the 14.04 release).

Downloading Kali Linux 
23.13. After navigating to https://www.kali.org/ I chose the version that would suit me the best and started downloading the ISO image for 64-Bit system.


USB imaging
22.40. I followed the guide offered by kali.org and used the commandsudo fdisk -lwithout plugging the USB yet. I needed to pay attention to the path of Device Boot (/dev/sdb1). After this I inserted USB and ran the same command again. Now I could see how the name of Device Boot had changed to sdc1. This would be my USB to use.

22.50 It only took a while to format the dd code correctly as the base was already given on Kali's web page. After running the correct command for the first time I got an error message "'/dev/sdc1': Permission denied". In these kind of situations I tend to ask sudo for help an…

Using a button to control the LED light

This time my project was to configure how to build a button that would turn on and off depending if the user is pushing it or not. While holding the button down the LED should stay on until removing the finger.



For this assignment I used the fallowing components:
Arduino UNO and USBJumper wiresLED lightBreadboardButton10k ohm resistor
At first I run the "Hello World" for Arduino and made sure that the LED I was using worked properly (read my previous post).

I attached the button in the middle of the breadboard so the legs were touching the both "sides" of it.


Now I started to connect the jumper wires between the Arduino UNO and the breadboard. In order to get it working like in the sample code (Ardoino > Examples > 02.Digital > Button)
I linked the wires with Arduino's 5V (red wire, positive) and ground (black wire, negative) to the equal holes on the very corner of the breadboard (+ and -). I put the white jumper wire to connect the positive circuit to t…