Skip to main content

Building the prototype

This prototype project grew up to be extreme personal to me. Rather than using a pre-made model or a plush I wanted to build it from scratch.

And what are little owls made of? Plastic, glue, tape and feathers!


First things first. The garden protector (named Sid) needs it's shape. I started by cutting the bottom away from a white bucket and glued the shreds of dog's e-collar all around it. Then I started to bend them together to reach the roundness of the crow and used tape to keep it together.


When the form was finished it was time to think about the position of the eyes and wings. I made the holes with the help of a drilling machine and scissors. At this point I needed to take some measurements so the servos could easily move the wings.

Need some eyes?
Sid and his unnamed cyclops brother to whom I tested the drill.
Almost done! But the owl is not really complete without a nice layer or feathers or two. The black beak is made of plastic.

After 4 hours the shell was done. It would be time to power up my gear and wake him up...

Notifications and improvement ideas

Since Sid the owl is a prototype it is not suitable for the outdoor use. The final product don't contain real feathers but plastic. You can also scroll the head off and it is waterproof. 


Based on the prototype course by Tero Karvinen and the book Karvinen 2011: Make Arduino Bots and Gadgets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Love-O-Meter by using a temperature sensor

This "Love-O-Meter" is based on the tutorial by Arduino and it comes with the starter kit. It uses a temperature sensor to measure the warmth of your skin and then starts to turn on (or off) the LEDs  indicated by the temperature.

The components Arduino UNOBreadboardJumper wiresLEDs220 ohm resistorsTMP36 temperature sensor

Building the Circuit
At first I ran the "Hello World" for Arduino to make sure the environment would work as expected. Now I could start to connect the jumper wires between Arduino UNO and the breadboard.

As usually I connected the breadboard to power (5V) and to the ground (GND). I inserted the TMP36 on the breadboard so the rounded part of the sensor would face away from Arduino.

I attached 3 LED lights and the resistors and connected them with Arduino. The lights should react to the heat of the finger and if the temperature would get hot enough all the lights would be on and would also tell you if you are a hot lover or not...

The result and the …

Using a button to control the LED light

This time my project was to configure how to build a button that would turn on and off depending if the user is pushing it or not. While holding the button down the LED should stay on until removing the finger.



For this assignment I used the fallowing components:
Arduino UNO and USBJumper wiresLED lightBreadboardButton10k ohm resistor
At first I run the "Hello World" for Arduino and made sure that the LED I was using worked properly (read my previous post).

I attached the button in the middle of the breadboard so the legs were touching the both "sides" of it.


Now I started to connect the jumper wires between the Arduino UNO and the breadboard. In order to get it working like in the sample code (Ardoino > Examples > 02.Digital > Button)
I linked the wires with Arduino's 5V (red wire, positive) and ground (black wire, negative) to the equal holes on the very corner of the breadboard (+ and -). I put the white jumper wire to connect the positive circuit to t…

Creating a Bootable USB for Kali Linux

If you are interested to see my documentation about making a bootable USB for Xubuntu please click here!

This USB was made by using the latest version of Xubuntu (the 14.04 release).

Downloading Kali Linux 
23.13. After navigating to https://www.kali.org/ I chose the version that would suit me the best and started downloading the ISO image for 64-Bit system.


USB imaging
22.40. I followed the guide offered by kali.org and used the commandsudo fdisk -lwithout plugging the USB yet. I needed to pay attention to the path of Device Boot (/dev/sdb1). After this I inserted USB and ran the same command again. Now I could see how the name of Device Boot had changed to sdc1. This would be my USB to use.

22.50 It only took a while to format the dd code correctly as the base was already given on Kali's web page. After running the correct command for the first time I got an error message "'/dev/sdc1': Permission denied". In these kind of situations I tend to ask sudo for help an…